Online Fishing Tournament (No gathering - No contact) Boats with motors, trolling motors & no motors (kayaks, canoes) must launch from ABH.
About this Event
Individual / Online Fishing Tournament
No contact - No Gathering - No Spectators
1) THE COMMON SENSE RULE Despite challenging times, this tournament has been created to provide enjoyment and friendly competition for anglers who are able to safely enjoy fishing on the river. Our goal is to provide an alternative to traditional fishing tournaments with no-contact and social-distancing while ensuring a fair and balanced playing field. If any of the rules need altering to ensure the safety of all participants, we reserve the right to alter them at any time without formal notice. To stay up to date with rules, prizes, and general information please frequently visit the Facebook event page.
2) WHO CAN ENTER Anyone over the age of 18 may enter. (Fishing partner may be under 18). Maximum of two people per boat. Contestant must possess and be legally able to operate his/her own watercraft. Watercraft must be launched from the ramp at the Appomattox Boat Harbor (2 boats may launch at a time). License plate from registration will be verified on site. Live wells and coolers will be subject to search to verify no cheating! No fishing is allowed from the docks or land. If you are fishing alone, a token will be provided for date/time stamp on the day of the event - and must be requested in advance by calling / texting (804)536-1200. Two people in individual kayaks may fish together as a team. A limited number of kayaks and canoes are available to rent at a discounted price through Eco Trek Adventures, and must be coordinated in advance by calling (804)504-1165.
3) REGISTRATION AND FEES Registration is online only. Maximum of two people per watercraft, and both participants must be registered on the registration/ticket for each watercraft. $10 per entry will be contributed to the prize for each buy-in (total prize depends upon total entries). Winners will receive prizes via online payment method indicated at registration. You do NOT need to print your registration/ticket. Vehicle license plates (from registration tickets) will be verified on-site. If you register to participate but your license plate isn't verified on-site, you will be disqualified. Proceeds will help area animal shelters and provide urgent veterinary services through Off the Chain Animal Rescue. Deadline to enter is midnight on Friday, April 24, 2020.
SCHEDULE No contact - all boats must be launched independently at the Appomattox Boat Harbor (between 7am and 7pm) allowing ample time to space out arrival and departures. Vehicle license plates will be verified with registration information provided. The contest will be run entirely online (via the Facebook event page). Boats being launched will be given priority at the ramp over boats leaving. No gathering. No spectators. "To-go" food and drinks may be ordered by cell phone and picked up at the dock (by boat) at any time during the day (without exiting your boat). Menu will be provided on the Facebook event page, with proceeds being donated to Off the Chain Animal Rescue.
4) ELIGIBLE WATERCRAFT Any motorized boat, boat with trolling motor, or no motor (kayak or canoe) can be used for the purpose of this tournament.
5) ELIGIBLE FISH There are three fish categories for this tournament: Bass, Crappie, and Catfish. Any fish caught on the Appomattox River or James River during the hours of the tournament are eligible for submission. You may only submit entries for the fish that you opted-in to catch with your registration/ticket. Any other submissions will be disqualified. Photos posted after 7pm will be disqualified. Any photos posted after your watercraft has left the water will be disqualified.
6) ELIGIBLE FISHING METHODS
All fish must be caught alive using a conventional rod and reel in a sporting manner
Artificial lures are preferred
Trolling and fly fishing is permitted
Only one fishing rod per contestant may be in use at at any time
All fish must be caught during the hours of the competition
Anglers may not submit photos of previously-caught, contained, or caged fish
No cast nets are allowed, but anglers may use a landing net
After photographing, all fish must be released back into the river (alive)
7) SCORING We are using the "Catch-Measure-Photo-Release" method for this tournament. When you catch the fish, you must submit two photos using a digital camera or smart phone, and uploading both pictures to the event page.
One picture of you holding the fish
One picture of the fish on a measuring board (with your fishing partner's cell phone showing the time and date). The mouth of the fish must be touching the vertical position on the left side of the board, and the tip of the tail must clearly indicate the length on the right side. The picture must be taken from directly above with the time/date clearly showing. Any blurry, cut-off, or oddly-angled photos will be disqualified.
If you are fishing alone, you must request a token to submit with your photos prior to the tournament by calling/texting (804)536-1200.
8) SAFETY & SPORTSMANSHIP It is important that all anglers adhere to a high level of sportsmanship that portrays the sport in a positive light. Safe boating will be adhered to at all times. During the competition, each contestant is required to comply with all state and local boating and fishing laws. The tournament will be postponed if there are unsafe weather or water conditions. The decision to postpone will be made at least 24 hours in advance, and will be posted on the Facebook event page.
9) COMMUNICATION The Facebook event page for this tournament will be the official method of communication for this online tournament. Questions may be posted in the discussion and answers will be provided in a timely manner. Online spectators are welcome. Family and friends will be able to keep track of the progress of the competition while enjoying pictures (and videos)! If you choose to post videos please keep the language "rated-G" for all ages. Only photos may be submitted for fish scoring. The obvious winners will have posted their entries before 7pm for all to view, and will receive affirmation on the Facebook event page. In the event of a tie, the winners will split the prize for that category equally. Prizes will be awarded electronically within 24 hours of the conclusion of the tournament.
10) PHOTOS All photos and data shall be used by the Appomattox Boat Harbor indefinitely, and may be used by any of its tournament partners in future projects, promotions, articles, social media, print, or media releases. There will be no compensation for these photos or data. Anglers may keep and use their own photos as they please. Photos will be used as a sole method of choosing the winner. Any photos that depict cheating, rule breaking, safety violations, or endangering others will be automatically considered grounds for disqualification from this tournament.
11) FINAL DECISIONS Any decision that needs to be made in relation to the event will be done so by the tournament committee and their decisions are final.
12) RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE All participants affirm that by paying to purchase a ticket/register that they hold harmless the Appomattox Boat Harbor and Off The Chain Animal Rescue. By purchasing a ticket/registering, they waive and/or release from liability and covenant not to sue for any reason resulting from competing in this tournament. It is required that all participants take responsibility for themselves while participating in event activities.
10) HAVE FUN Remember, winning is not something you can completely control, because there is no way to play defense in this sport. All you can control is your fishing and your attitude...so relax, have fun, be respectful, and enjoy your time on the water.