Title: Transportation Coordinator
This Position is: Non-Exempt
Primary Function:Assist Director of Transportation & Fleet Operations in developing and implementing bus routes and schedules to provide safe, efficient transportation for students using computerized Tyler/Verstran based routing software following school board policies and procedures.Minimum Qualifications:
Director of Transportation
- High school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of two years’ experience in the operation of computers.
- Prior pupil transportation experience is preferred.
- Must possess/maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license with a positive point balance
- Must obtain a class B CDL license with school bus, passenger, and air brake endorsements within 6 months of employment.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications, especially in data base management and spreadsheets.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team setting with minimal supervision.
- Ability to quickly learn procedures used to report information and maintain records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with others
- Ability to prepare technical reports, manuals, and documentation.
- Provide training on the use of transportation software.
- Must possess good positive human relations skills.
- Sufficient strength, agility, and dexterity and oral and written communication skills required to perform all performance responsibilities.
Twelve months a year. Salary according to School Board Pay Plan.
- Coordinate bus routes for each school year by maintaining the Division bus routing systems through use of a computer. Update new roads, housing, and students.
- Work with Director to coordinate training on transportation department needs. Maintains all personnel and CDL files.
- Assist dispatch personnel in covering driver absences. Drive routes when needed.
- Design via computer realistic graphic streets and set bus stops to ensure safe and efficient transportation of students. Provide routing reports and general transportation management reports.
- Coordinates the holding of safety drills in the fall and spring on all Division school buses and compiles state reporting information of these drills.
- Works with Director to plan and conduct all mandatory in-service training and training for new bus drivers, bus assistants and car/van drivers in accordance with the Virginia School Bus Training Curriculum Guide and Prince George County School Division’s designated transportation training curriculum.
- Assists with Providing re-training for bus drivers following an accident or unsafe driving incident or any break in service more than 90 days.
- Assists the human resource department in maintaining transportation personnel files to ensure that all background checks, physical requirements, and job training requirements are verified.
- Work with Director to answer inquiries from parents and school employees concerning transportation procedures and regulations.
- Work with office team to communicate with schools, parents, bus drivers, social services, and other concerns for remedy of undeliverable children.
- Provide routing follow-up to secure required additional information.
- Assist bus drivers with office forms and general questions regarding procedures, and/or routes.
- Coordinates special transportation for programs such as Summer School, Special Education, Magnet, English Language Learners, McKinney-Vento, Every Student Succeeds, and other division wide programs.
- Coordinates audits of routes to ensure safety and efficiency as well as driver adherence to routes and contractual time requirements.
- Works with financial secretary to ensure driver time is correct.
- Prepares forms for student load counts, receives data from drivers and prepares a summary of results to be used in route planning.
- Work with Director to develop and implement a system for recording contacts from parents and others that will ensure response within 24 business hours, and daily follow up until the contact is made.
- Work with Director to develop and implement a system for obtaining the names of students affected by bus or bus stop changes so that schools are notified in a timely manner.
- Gathers information for the annual Virginia Department of Education transportation report. Work with Director to Prepare reports regarding bus stops, location, load factor, and time and mileage.
- Demonstrates responsibility for advancing professional growth by seeking Director approved continuing education and in-service training programs in the pupil transportation field.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with school officials, community groups, and other staff members. Comply with administrative directives and school board policy.
- Demonstrate good work habits to include punctual and regular attendance, efficient use of time, submit reports accurately and punctually, and demonstrate self-control in interactions with others.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Transportation.
Evaluation:Performance on this job will be evaluated in accordance with school board policy and administrative regulations on evaluation of non-licensed personnel.